Saturday, July 01, 2006

Plus ca change

Another tournament, another penalty shootout -- another defeat. This is actually the first time I've been able to watch and, no, it didn't make any difference. I just can't believe Lampard and Gerrard; they were so half-hearted! Carragher was unlucky not to have his first shot allowed. Good for Hargreaves (and I never thought I'd say that). Bah!

Bye bye, Sven. Close the door behind you on your way out.

ETA: Doctor Who was excellent! Well scheduled, BBC1 -- you pulled me out of my pit of footballing despair!

3 comments:

Mondale said...

Thas all aload o'cobblers. I just told Frau Random Doubt that she has joined in the lengthy English tradition of losing at football.
As for your earlier thing about Norfolk being a little backward when it comes to multiculturalism I have to admit to have some mixed experiences. When I went to school there (80's, early 90's) it was all very whitebread with very few kids of colour. I like to hope that it's got better, it seems a bit better whenever we visit but I'm still alarmed by some comments made to me when I was teaching in mid Norfolk (2000-2002). Some people said that they had moved to Norfolk to get away from 'multicuturalism' , some were much blunter. These were people who had moved into the county from east London or the Midlands. Most 'real' Norfolk people I worked with or knew didn't see to give it much thought. I did once work with a fellow whose essential phiolosphy seemed to be "Cockneys and bypasses, they're killing Norfolk". Admirable sentiment.
They are strange folk born of the east wind.

Mondale said...

I should also add that I am proud of the fact that the cross of St George has been reclaimed from the far right.I think this was an accidental process but a good thing all the same. I can also see why people would be uncomfortable with it.

Norfolk Dumpling said...

But Norwich's southern bypass is a thing of beauty, keeping all the pikey Yarmouth and Hemsby caravanners off the A47 through Thorpe! It used to be a nightmare turning out of our street during the summer.

He's right about the Cockneys though.