Thursday, July 20, 2006

From Spain to Japan -- and back again

Tonight's dinner:



Last night it was Spain; tonight it was Japan. Again, we wanted something cold that didn't require much cooking, but then I started reading my bento box recipe book and got carried away. Our dinner consisted of braised tofu and mushrooms, rice balls (heh, balls!), soy sauce egg, the usual cucumber and broccoli pickles, and miso-marinated spring onions. The latter dish was something of a Sino-Hispanic experiment: I scored and marinated spring onions in a mixture of miso paste, sake, and sugar, then wiped it off and grilled them on our griddle pan -- rather like the spring onions I had in 1997 at a restaurant in Barcelona (amusingly named El Glop) although those came with a romesco dip. My version was rather good, even if I say so myself, but I think PJ would back me up on this. The onions had softened slightly while taking on a salty-sweet-smoky flavor. While most of the dishes started out hot, they were all cold by the time we ate, as we were waiting for our Albert delivery to turn up, but were none the worse for that.

I wonder where I shall turn to tomorrow for culinary inspiration. Suggestions?

No comments: