Saturday, July 01, 2006

Om

Despite getting home at midnight and deciding to have a shower and make up a batch of sourdough bread, I still woke up early this morning. It's nerves. England v Portugal for a place in the semi-finals. I think I'll be okay as long as it doesn't go to penalties; I hate penalties, and not just because every time I've watched us take them, we've lost. It's just so arbitrary and hugely unfair for the goalie. Perhaps I should take heart from the fact that 40 years ago, England played Portugal in the semi-finals on July 26 and won. And not only did they win, but my brother was born at the same time. What do you mean, "What did your father do?". Of course he watched the match! It was the semi-final of the World Cup! What would you do!?*

So, just got to stay calm until 5 o'clock. Perhaps some yoga will help me find and maintain a Zen-like calm. It's worth a shot.

* Papa Dumpling would like me to point out that it was 1966 and men weren't allowed in the delivery room. So he really had no choice but to watch the match. Honest.

No comments: