Tuesday, July 25, 2006

The old ones are the best

A couple of years ago, I received a great little book called Trade Secrets, based on the BBC programme of the same name. It outlined hundreds of really useful and highly effective cleaning tips, perfect for fueling my mild cleaning obsession. Best of all, the advice doesn't involve the use of proprietary and thus expensive cleaning products, perfect for fueling my mild obsession about saving money. While PJ mocked my book, he soon started turning to it for recommendations on the best way to descale a kettle or remove wine stains from the carpet. And last weekend, we soaked our shower heads in ordinary white vinegar -- which at 40 cents a litre is considerably cheaper than Viacal. Admittedly, the smell in the bathroom was a little tangy, but all the limescale that had been blocking the holes and preventing me from enjoying my early-morning shower disappeared. Vanished! I was left merely with the mild scent of vinegar in my hair this morning, giving me a certain fish n chip shop air. Mmmm, fish and chips.

Now, where can I buy some borax?

No comments: