Friday, March 16, 2007

Truly, I suffer

I love my new nano -- really, I do. It's shiny and red and incredibly lightweight and sexy, and once I get all my tunes loaded up onto it (rather than the paltry selection on there as an emergency measure) it will be a great gym buddy. Or rather, it would be, if it weren't for the bizarro Nike armband that I use. This was clearly designed by a geek who has never tried exercising. The pretty black and red material stretches across the front of the nano, obscuring the controls and the screen. Yes, the manufacturers have helpfully printed the controls onto the sleeve, but you can't see the screen. So you can't see what's playing. Or if you've accidentally put it on pause. Or if the battery's running low. Or the menu, should you want to change what you're listening to mid-run. To do that, you have to undo the armband, take the nano out of the sleeve, make all the adjustments, put it back in the sleeve, reattach the headphone plug (which will have come out), and fasten the armband up again -- all at 9 km per hour. It's not easy, let me tell you. And, should you want to have the headphone socket at the top of the armband so that the wire doesn't get tangled up around your arm while running, the printed control symbols no longer match the controls on the nano. And it's hard enough to remember which way you need to scroll to turn the sound up and down -- particularly if you're a bear of very little brain like me. Serves me right for buying Nike, I guess.

But I still love it. It's just so very, very pretty! Damn you, Jobs!

No comments: