Thursday, March 29, 2007

Boiled potatoes with saffron and mint

I have had a sudden burst of enthusiasm for cooking. Maybe it's the warmer, lighter days, or perhaps it's just the prospect of finally getting the oven fixed, but I feel inspired. Tonight's meal was also Mediterranean, but moving west from Greece to Spain. I used up the courgettes and feta from last night in a rather decent tortilla, chopped up the remaining tomatoes and cucumber for an almost salsa-esque salad, and made these saffron potatoes.


I think I've written before about my love for Nigel Slater's Kitchen Diaries. One recipe has been a particular standout -- red mullet baked in olive oil, vermouth, saffron, and mint. I decided to adapt this combo for potatoes. From Albert Heijn I bought some organic, kruimig potatoes and some fresh mint. I peeled the potatoes, cut them into chunks, and boiled them gently for about 15 minutes with a good pinch of saffron. After I drained them, I stirred in a hefty tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil, a splash of Noilly Prat, and a handful of chopped mint. I tossed this together gently, left it in the pan on the cooling ring until the tortilla was done, and then turned the yellowy, fragrant cubes into a bowl. A little more mint and a sprinkling of rock salt just to finish them off.

I guess it is somewhat extravagant to use the most expensive spice in the world for mere potatoes, but the results were excellent -- and I do have to empty my cupboards before the move. I won't be losing this recipe though.

No comments: