Sunday, March 04, 2007

Fantastic fudge

The oven will be fixed on March 12 -- huzzah! Still no baking for another week -- boo! I've had to find other things into which to divert my culinary frustrations, and today it was fudge.



This is great stuff and incredibly easy. Melt together butter, two types of sugar, and (ahem) condensed milk, bring to the boil, leave to boil for about 10 minutes without stirring, preferably while reading the brand-new cookery book you bought earlier in the day, add vanilla, beat till thick and creamy, pour into tin and try to leave alone until set. To this batch I added caramelized cocoa nibs and large flakes of sea salt. I adore salt with sweet things, and this is just perfect. It's sweet and creamy and slightly crunchy and salty and you couldn't buy anything better.



I handed nearly half the batch over to Alan and Jo for safe-keeping, but have still got enough at home to make me thoroughly sick before tomorrow morning's now-essential gym visit. And then PJ gets back -- huzzah x 2!

No comments: