Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Yoga nidra

Off to class tonight, hoping against hope that it will be fairly relaxed and not too strenuous. I'm in luck! We are instructed to take three blankets, a bolster and an eyebag and to make ourselves comfortable. We spend an hour lying down under our blankets going through a yoga nidra routine -- and ancient form of meditation that mainly involves visualizing certain things, emotions, and parts of the body and trying not to fall asleep. Easier said than done: I kept drifting off, only to come to with a start and remember that I ought to be focusing on my thumb. But, it was beautifully relaxing, the time sped by, and I feel all calm and balanced. For now.

And given that I was woken up at 4.30 this morning by both the bloody dawn chorus and worries about a doctor's appointment, I really nidra-ed that. (Heh -- see what I did there?)

No comments: