Saturday, June 10, 2006

O Me of little faith

On 21 October 1805, my fellow county-man Horatio Nelson ordered these words to be semaphored to the English fleet before the Battle of Trafalgar:

England expects that every man will do his duty.


Nearly 201 years later, the Norfolk Dumpling expects only that she will again be disappointed by the England team during this World Cup. For so it has ever been. In 1986, I remember praying -- me, confirmed atheist, praying! -- that England would overcome Argentina, only to have my nascent faith shattered by the so-called Hand of God -- or "That cheating bastard Maradonna", as he's more popularly known. In 1990, I was unable to watch the England-Germany semi-final in which we lost on penalties, thanks to being on holiday in that football-free country that is the US. While living in Spain in 1998, I did get to see England lose again on penalties to Argentina, and in 2002, I was at Clive's flat in the 'Dam to see England go down 2-1 to Brazil. It's hardly a glorious track record. So, I'm betting on 2 draws and a win in the group stages, followed by squeaking through the second round, before being beaten -- on penalties, of course, in the next round.

What makes it harder this year is that the Netherlands has also qualified; last time round, we were able to watch England lose with the smug satisfaction that at least we made it to the tournament and then the quarter-finals. Now, we face the dread prospect that the Netherlands will do better than us, and then the Cloggies will be insufferable! So, here's to Serbia & Montenegro, the Ivory Coast, and (ahem) Argentina -- The Dumpling expects that all these teams will do their duty and stuff the Dutch!

ETA: It's 2.53 and I feel sick. Despite my pessism, I still desperately want England not to mess it up in their first game. Time for some alcohol to take the edge off.

No comments: