Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Allan keys versus stiff upper lips

Well, it won't exactly be the nail-biting buttock-clenching game that I had imagined; we're already through, so now we just have to see if Rooney's foot holds up. I'm hoping that this will give Sven the chance to get Hargreaves out of his system in time to field real players in the important knockout matches. PJ is already in Cologne, enjoying some corporate hospitality and his first "live" game -- without me! I'm outraged! However, although I've never been priveleged to enjoy the corporate boxes at these events, I would imagine that from behind the glass, it's a bit like watching a match on telly. You can't really appreciate a match until you've stood on the terraces, fingers freezing from the cold, clutching a cup of Bovril, and watching the scuffles between groups of rival fans. Ah -- the sounds, the smells, the bloodshed!

Having been deserted, I'm off to watch with some friends, accompanied by that most traditional (and popular) of English foods, the Indian takeaway. See you after the match.

ETA: PJ's photo of the teams during the national anthems. Not quite close enough to see Becks' abs, unfortunately!

No comments: