Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Yet another surreal eTrade experience

My company told me that I needed to contact eTrade corporate support to check whether I needed to complete a form that shows I'm a foreigner who doesn't pay tax in the US. Being both a good corporate citizen AND sufficiently pissed off about paying high levels of tax in the Netherlands, I decided to womanfully wrestle with eTrade's IVR system. I logged into my eTrade account, noted down my account number, and got started. Problem 1: The telephone system refused to acknowledge my password -- even though I'd just used it to access the Web site. Confused, I put down the phone, logged off, re-logged in to check that it was the password I thought it was, and then phoned again. Problem 2: The system didn't ask for my account number this time, but still refused to recognize my password -- twice. At this point, it kindly put me through to someone human. Problem 3: She told me that I my online access to the site was currently disabled and that we'd have to reset my password. I pointed out that this wasn't true and that I was, in fact, looking at my account details online at that very moment. She just giggled, pressed a few buttons, answered my question about form W-8BEN (and no, I don't have to recertify this year), and we bid each other adieu.

I hate that site (but I like my options).

No comments: