Saturday, May 13, 2006

Water water everywhere

I'd never realized how effective Chinese water torture could be. But the incessant dripping drove me to distraction last night; even though I slept in a room some distance from the source of the noise, I woke twice -- my subconcious working overtime to make me get up and empty the bag sitting under the leak.* This morning, I got up early to clean the kitchen and utility room; apparently, it's important (to me) that my house be tidy before a plumber comes along.

And come along he did -- early! Surely this violates the plumbers and builders code of conduct regarding punctuality? He's gone off now to pick up some parts to replace the leaking hose, we will then turn the water off in the building, and I can (hopefully) then get a good night's sleep tonight.

Just as well I was up early, as I had an 8 a.m. visit from my downstairs neighbour, complaining of "incredible damage" to his apartment. I'm guessing he means there's a mark on the ceiling that needs a coat of paint, but maybe he'll get a new kitchen out of this from his insurance company. This is the man who came up to welcome us to our new home five years ago and promptly asked if we were planning to replace the carpet with floorboards. And who wanted to have the ability to vet potential purchasers of the apartments so that there were no parents, no pet owners, no "foreigners" (well, white ones are okay). And who declared that people in apartments shouldn't have washing machines and that HE took all his washing to the cleaners. A somewhat "excitable" man, then, and one that I hope won't keep bugging me about this for too long.

*Parents: total respect for you getting up to feed kids during the night. No wonder you always look so tired.

1 comment:

stinkypaw said...

Maybe your downstairs neighbour should move to an old folks home (Hey! Alomst sound like the title of your blog!) ;-D - he wouldn't have parents, kids, pets - the occasional grand kids but that's about it! I had a landlord with the same "requirements", a real pain! Just got to love them!

Beautiful flowers BTW!

Have a great "dripless" weekend!