Monday, May 15, 2006

No animals were harmed in the making of this dish

Such is the tedium of my daily life that I need to set myself little challenges to stay awake. It might be cycling to work via a different route, trying a new exercise machine at the gym, or cooking a dish for the first time. One of the more exciting culinary tasks I had was to cook a dinner party for fussy guests, including 2 vegetarians, a vegan, and someone who couldn't eat fat. At all. No oil, no nuts, nothing. The resulting sense of achievement was magnificent.

While PJ's been away, I've been trying to avoid eating fish and assorted animal products like cheese. The result? Lots of hummous and veggies and last night's excellent noodle/cabbage salad with spicy peanut dressing and orange-ginger marinated tofu. I took pictures to post here, but unfortunately I'm not sufficiently skilled with the camera to make peanut sauce on noodles look like anything other than an unfortunate accident after too many beers. So you'll just have to trust me when I tell you that it was delicious. The peanut dressing was chock full of coriander, a herb I'm unable to use when PJ's at home (he's one of those poor unfortunates who believes that it tastes like soap), the cabbage was crunchy, while the tofu was contrastingly soft but flavorsome. One to add to the list of favorites.

2 comments:

Jackie said...

The dinner sounds wonderful. It's great you made the effort and didn't hand them a salad.
Now if you could tell me how to make vegan dumplings to put in veggie soup I will give you a big hug. Without suet mine turn out awful :-(

Norfolk Dumpling said...

You can get vegetarian suet from Atora, at least in the UK. I buy boxes of it to bring back to cloggie-land with me. Check out www.atora.co.uk