Saturday, May 13, 2006

Damn, blow, blast, and bloody hell

Liverpool won the FA Cup -- and after a truly stunning third goal from West Ham, which should clearly have been the match winner. Penalties are such a horrendous way to settle a match; I can understand why the Dutch revile them, refuse to practise, and therefore always lose on them.

I should explain that I'm no great fan of West Ham, but I do hate Liverpool. You see, I can't forgive them for Heysel and the resultant banning of English clubs from European competition. That was the year Norwich won the Milk Cup, the year we should have been a contender in Europe -- our dreams crumbling along with the wall between the Liverpool and Juventus fans. It would be another 8 years before the Canaries were able to display their (occasionally) dazzling talents to a stunned Bayern Munich.

Old scars run deep.

No comments: