Friday, May 12, 2006

My water tank, it has sprung a leak

I've occasionally heard the worrying drip drip drip of a leaky pipe but haven't been able to track it down -- until now. The bad news? I don't think I can fix it. The good news? It's finally prompted me to call a plumber about repairing this and doing two other jobs for us, ones we've been planning to get done for the past five years.

Job 1: replace a radiator in the bathroom. This will also involve helping us figure out where the stop-cock [snigger] is.

Job 2: rehang a radiator in our front room. This will mean drilling holes, filling them with plaster, and realizing that a spirit level doesn’t help much when your flat has a significant lean.

While we "could" do them ourselves, we’d rather pay someone else to do the work and then complain/blog about it afterwards. Our requirements are simple: Ideally, the plumber in question will speak English and be tolerant of idle foreigners. In return, we will provide tea and biscuits during working hours.

I just called one recommended by a friend; I think he was at the beach, enjoying the sunshine. His pen didn't work, so he couldn't take down my number to call me back when he has his diary in front of him. I need to call again at 8 this evening.

Keep your fingers crossed for me.

UPDATE: The only tub that I could get to fit under the drip is filling in less than 2 hours. I've got a plumber coming tomorrow morning at 10.30, which is 14 hours away, which means I'll have to get up at least 4 times during the night to empty it. Bugger. Unless the entire tank drains out before then. Let's hope so.

No comments: