Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Bermondsey balls-up

While in Holt, I popped in to the Old Town "shop" -- the use of inverted commas indicates that they don't actually sell anything from the shop; you can try stuff on and then order it. (No, I don't really understand why either.) Great 1930s/40s designs in fabulous fabrics; their clothing rocks. I was so carried away by the theme of the company and the niceness of the lady behind it all that I found myself ordering a Bermondsey dress in duck-egg Irish linen. I envisioned myself wearing it while I picked flowers in my traditional English country garden, conveniently forgetting that: 1) I don't live in England, 2) I don't have a garden, 3) it's about 10 degrees celsius outside and pissing down, and 4) I just don't have the height, style, or elegance necessary to carry off this particular look.

Ah, self-delusion: thy name is Norfolk Dumpling.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi! Just want to say what a nice site. Bye, see you soon.
»