Monday, May 22, 2006

Infamy! Infamy!

They've all got it in for me. Shoe shops, that is. I've been trying to order a pair of shoes, at ever-increasing prices, for the past month with little success.

It all started, as these things so often do, with a post on Shoewawa -- highlighting the sale of gorgeous pairs of United Nude Eva Eamz shoes. Designed by Dutch architect Rem Koolhaus, these are a masterpiece of design -- round-toed shoes with a detached metal heel. Beautiful. I headed over to Noflysonus.com as fast as my little fingers could carry me, ordered one of the few remaining pairs in jade in a size 4, and waited for them to turn up. 10 days later, I'm still waiting. I phone the store, only to be told that they didn't have any left in stock and I should have received an email to tell me.

Sigh.

So, off to the United Nude site. Success! Size 4, this time in ruby red. Looks a bit bright and is twice the price of the pair on sale at Noflysonus but by this time I'm completely in love with and MUST HAVE these shoes. Credit card number goes in, the shoes are delivered, and PJ picks them up from the London office today and takes them out of the box to show the lovely ladies on reception. Bollox! There's a bloody great mark on the heel of one of them! It looks as if they've had a price label on and someone's tried to remove the glue, but has instead removed most of the velour (another bonus, no animal matter used to make the shoes). Back in the box they go, off to the supplier.

Sigh again.

I have this feeling that I am destined never to get these shoes. The manufacturers will tell me tomorrow that that was the last pair they had in a size 4, and that they're never making them again. There will be much crying and wailing and gnashing of teeth.

But seriously. They are BEAUTIFUL shoes.

No comments: