Friday, September 15, 2006

You CANNOT be serious!

The long list of reasons why Dutchies shouldn't have to go to work rarely astounds me now; I've gotten used to the idea that work is seen as an option in life, rather than a requirement. However, one piece of information I acquired yesterday did leave me stunned. If you are sick while on holiday, you can convert that vacation day into a sick day and claim back that vacation day. As we were told this, you could hear British and US jaws hitting the table. WTF!!! If you're sick while on vacation, that's just bad luck! You weren't going to go to work anyway, so why should you claim it as a sick day? Unbelieveable! Amusingly, this doesn't apply to public holidays -- perhaps even the Dutch government couldn't face enabling the entire population to phone in sick on New Year's Day.

This is not information that's generally shared with employees -- hence my surprise after five years working here -- but clearly the Dutch are brought up to know their (idle) employee rights. Family member died? One day off. Getting married? Two days off. Moving house? Another day off. Don't really like your job but can't be arsed looking for another one? Take six months off on full pay -- you're clearly stressed!

The Daily Mail would have a field day over here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It happens over here too! Years in Local Govt taught me that. I suspect it happens all over the Public sector, although I never had the brass neck to do it meself.
Oh, and the HR alarm bell only goes off once you've had ten days or more sick in any given twelve months.
Hope all well with you and PJ.
Alex A

Norfolk Dumpling said...

What gets me is not just that you're not abiding by Sod's Law, but that many Dutchies already get 30+ days of annual vacation - particularly if they're in the finance sector. I could understand the vacation-poor Americans needing this system, but it's just ridiculous here!