Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Here's one I made earlier

Last night's coconut and cashew nut rice dish was so gorgeous that I felt compelled to share the recipe with you. It tastes -- I'd say authentic, but I've never been to India so I don't know if it is or not -- fragrant. Can something taste fragrant? It's the cardamom pods that do it, adding an ineffable perfume to every mouthful that is different to the flavor they contribute. Whatever, I'm rambling, it's great. Make it, enjoy it, reheat any leftovers in the microwave, just as I'm doing right now.

3 tablespoons sunflower oil
1 medium onion, sliced
10 black peppercorns
3 cloves
3 pods cardamom, bruised
2 bay leaves
300 grams basmati rice, washed and drained
300 ml coconut milk from a can
salt
1 green pepper, sliced
3 tablespoons frozen green peas
2 tablespoons raisins
2 tablespoons cashew nuts

Heat 2 tbs of the oil in a heavy saucepan and fry the onion until golden brown. Add the whole spices and swirl around for a minute. Add about 300 ml water (I used a bit more than that) and bring to the boil.

Add the rice to the pan and half the coconut milk and a pinch of salt. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat and add the green pepper and peas.

As soon as the liquid has been absorbed, add the rest of the coconut milk. Cover the pan and simmer gently until the rice is cooked through. (I turned the heat off after about 8-10 minutes and left it for another 10. Perfect.)

Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a small pan and fry the raisins and cashews for a minute. Pour over the rice to garnish and serve hot.

I only managed the first three steps. PJ has this weird hatred of fruit/nuts in savoury food, so I had to leave the nuts and raisins out. And I decided to scorch my fingers picking out the whole spices, rather than risk cracking an expensive crown. (I am now ready for a career as an international jewel thief). It was still excellent. Taken from India's Vegetarian Cooking -- A Regional Guide, by Monisha Bharadwaj.

No comments: