Monday, September 18, 2006

I just don't know what to do with myself

I don't think I like being off sick. I feel disoriented, adrift in the world, and I don't know what I'm allowed to do. Not going to work was the right thing to do; this cold is nasty and I wouldn't want anyone else to suffer -- okay, a couple of people but on the basis of the greatest happiness of the greatest number, I couldn't inflict that on everyone else. I also feel much better now: The perpetual headache has passed, the sinuses (sinii?) have cleared, and I'm just a little achey, but that could be because I'm having to access the Net at floor level.

No, my problem is more one of how should one behave when one is off sick? I rarely skived off school, and take maybe one day per year actually off sick -- rather than working from home. Are you allowed to surf? To go to the shop to get essential supplies of honey and lemons? If you're well enough to do two lots of ironing, are you well enough to be at work? Can one cook Danish fish cakes and cauliflower cheese souffles -- hypothetically speaking, of course. How about reading "Untangling My Chopsticks" by Victoria Riccardi, a book about Kyoto cuisine and tea ceremonies? And subsequently day-dreaming about spending more than just one day in Kyoto? Is this allowed under sick-day etiquette? Well, is it?

No comments: