Wednesday, February 28, 2007

The perils of modern living, part the second

Two hours in Terminal One at Heathrow and you start to realize just how much rubbish is available for consumption -- particularly when one is a captive and bored audience. Teddy bears wearing Union Jacks (Harrods), iPod accessories (boo, hisss!), Filofaxes (still? really?!?), and expensive fountain pens. Who uses a fountain pen nowadays? Can you still buy ink? How do you blog with a fountain pen?

My lowest point came when BMI announced that it had delayed the flight by 30 minutes. I'd finished reading Grazia and was thus goal-less. I found myself in Austin Reed, idly checking out smart stripy shirts and co-ordinating tank tops. Smart they might have been, but in 5 weeks' time, I'll be working from home -- and thus able to sit around in just my skivvies, marinating in a pool of my own filth, should I so choose. I will have no need for "work" clothes (as indeed I don't now, to be honest), no need to shop in upmarket stores in airport terminals, no need to color co-ordinate shirts and jumpers. Hurrah! I will be feral editor -- hmm, sounds like the name of a new blog ...

A packed social agenda meant that I started writing this on Tuesday but didn't get round to posting it until now. Oh, how hard it is when one is in demand!

No comments: