Tuesday, February 20, 2007

If it's broken, should I fix it?

A moral dilemma: On Friday night -- of course it was Friday night! -- the oven broke. It all started off well. Turn oven on, leave to heat up, open oven door, power in the apartment goes off. Reset the fuses, turn oven back on, open oven door, power goes off again, reset the fuses ... and 20 minutes later discover that the oven isn't hot. In fact, I can take the baking sheet out with my bare hands, and while I have a degree of asbestosity as a result of years in the kitchen, this is not good.

So, the dilemma. With six weeks to go before we move out, do we fix it? On the "No" side is PJ: it's hassle, it will be expensive, the buyer will almost certainly redo the kitchen anyway, and it's not our problem. On the "Yes" side is me, always the people-pleaser, scared of "getting into trouble" with our buyer when she discovers that her combi oven has a functioning microwave and grill but no baking capabilities (and thus inviting karmic retribution when we buy another house), and (probably most importantly), starting to get twitchy at the thought of not being able to make any bread for the next six weeks. I'm probably going to have to abandon my sourdough starter here when we leave; I'd like to use it one last time.

After framing the question in the context of "Would you live without broadband for six weeks?" I win. The customer service line was remarkably pleasant and helpful, the engineer is coming on Friday -- and I'm hoping that it won't be too complicated/expensive to fix. Normal baking should resume on Saturday.

3 comments:

Jess in boston said...

hello, fellow kitchen dweller --

Any tested recipes to recommend re: sourdough? I have starter that i've only used once in the six-ish weeks i've had it. And the loaf was a bit underwhelming (and hard as a rock after a day!). Help?

CSS said...

Yes fix it. In order to complete, we have had to have £5K held in escrow to cover possible plumbing repairs to the flat we just sold..

Norfolk Dumpling said...

ouch! That's bad.