Tuesday, February 27, 2007

The perils of modern living, part the first

What is the difference between an iced latte and a latte frappe? I ask because I was confronted with this conundrum in Heathrow's Terminal One Cafe Nero earlier today -- and I did not know the answer. The "barista" regarded me with contempt as I expressed my confusion at her question about whether I wanted one or the other. Clearly, the differences between two types of cold milky coffee should be well known to anyone living in the West in the 21st century; indeed, they probably make up an entire section of the SATs for 11-year-olds in UK schools nowadays. But I remain resolutely wedded to the "O level gold standard" and had no clue.

It turns out that an iced latte is a cold milky coffee blended with ice and served in a plastic beaker with a straw. A latte frappe is a cold milky coffee blended with ice and sugar and served in a plastic beaker with a straw. Duh! How could I have been so stupid!? After enduring public humiliation to buy my overpriced beverage, it wasn't even the knock-off Starbucks frappucino that I'd been hoping for. I will never darken Cafe Nero's doors again (unless PJ needs to access Wi-Fi in a hurry)!

No comments: