Monday, November 06, 2006

Old dogs, new fruit

In an otherwise frustrating day, a small achievement: my first persimmon. Persuaded to try a piece at one of Amsterdam's more expensive greengrocers, I was seduced by its tender flesh and mild flavor -- a cross between a mango and a peach. I bought the remainder of the fruit and ate it at my desk, feeling virtuous and adventurous.



Next on my list of exotic ingredients to try? The jicama. Although I don't know where I'm going to get one around here. Buying parsnips is difficult enough, but a crisp, flavorless root used in Mexican cookery? Challenging. Amsterdam residents: let me know if you have any suggestions.

1 comment:

Beth said...

I recently tried my first persimmon as well! It has a buttery flavour unlike any fruit I've tasted before. Beyshen was an instant devotee.