Thursday, August 24, 2006

You shan't have a fishie on a little dishie

Or rather, in this case, in a bag of frozen food from your Albert delivery van.

I'd placed our usual monthly order with the supermarket delivery service, and included a large amount of frozen fish: cod fillets (the interestingly named kabeljauw), king prawns, and best of all, frozen scallops (notwithstanding the last time we ate scallops and PJ got sick). I had plenty of recipes planned and was looking forward to having a full freezer. But it wasn't to be. I got home to find PJ mournfully clutching a bag of frozen food for a Mevrouw Huizinga -- full of Indonesian-style "meat" products and no shellfish. He'd phoned Albert and they'd promised the delivery man would return. At 8.30, we were still waiting. At 10.30, we gave up on our scallops and turned in.

With a sense of dread, I called Albert's customer service number -- and to my surprise, talked to a darling rep, Joost. In excellent English, he listened to my plight, apologized several times, and then credited the value of the fish against our next order. Charmed, I hung up -- and then realized I should have asked, nay, demanded!, that they deliver the damn fish on Saturday morning without a delivery charge. Did I phone back? Reader, I did not. I got lucky once with a Dutch customer service rep; there's no point in pushing it twice.

So, anybody want any frozen meat products?

No comments: