Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Ebi gyoza

I love kitchen gadgets. I have cupboards full of ice-cream machines, square omelette pans, piping bags, and vegetable peelers. A few months ago, I indulged at the Japanese food store near the Nieuwmarkt and treated myself to several packs of gyoza wrappers and a handy (yet cheap!) device for sealing and crimping the edges -- no more sticky fingers and haphazardly folded gyoza for me. However, as is my wont, the plastic sealer went straight into a kitchen drawer and languished there ... until this evening. Tonight was gyoza night. Down came the Wagamama cookbook, out came the frozen prawns and can of water chestnuts, and off was dusted the gadget.

Promising. Very promising.



Would you look at the crimping on that! Perfection - well worth 3 euros.



Not quite papal steam, but intriguing nonetheless. First you fry the gyoza, then you add water and let them steam through.



Chewy AND crispy, with a delicately flavored filling. Lekker! It's just as well PJ's traveling (again) tonight; I wouldn't want to have to share these.

2 comments:

stinkypaw said...

Those dumplings look really yummy! And great pan by the way; just love "Le Creuset"!

Norfolk Dumpling said...

Hi Stinkypaw -- good to hear from you again. I love Le Creuset too, although using the pans does act as an alternative to weight training. They are so heavy!