Tuesday, August 08, 2006

... to the ridiculous

Don't hate me, dear reader, but after my encounter with culture in the form of subtitled German films about the horrors of war, I needed something a little lighter. Frothy, effervescent, even. I ended up watching America's Next Top Model (season 5 -- we're a long way behind here). While Tyra Banks was utterly terrifying -- or should I say "fierce"? -- the contestants were foul. Self-absorbed, petty, bitching little cry-babies, spouting therapy speak at every opportunity and completely lacking any perspective on their situation: I'd forgotten how appalling teenage girls can be. They were rivalled only in the vapidity by the nitwits who appear on "My Super-Sweet Sixteen" -- prime candidates all for being first up against the wall when the revolution comes. But, it was absorbing, I was sucked in, and I was disappointed when "edgy" Kim didn't get the boot. Luckily, I've been able to find out who won the contest and won't have to watch the remainder of the show.

No comments: