Monday, August 28, 2006

Baggy, and a bit loose at the seams

This has been the most bizarre summer, weather-wise. July's heatwave made way for August's torrential downpours and chilly temperatures, necessitating the unearthing of jumpers, cold remedies, and fluffy bed socks. Today, we watched incredulously as wave after wave of rain swept across Amsterdam, obliterating nearby buildings from our sight. Apparently, we've had about 10 inches of rain this month; today's downpours must have nearly doubled that.

Please note: I'm not complaining (for once). I much prefer this weather to July's enervating heat; I avoided the rain on the way home and did a couple of extra sets of weights at the gym this morning, rather than venturing into the deluge outside; and I'm making butternut squash mac 'n' cheese for dinner tonight -- perfect food for a rainy day.

And I'll follow that with a double episode of My Name Is Earl, the final of America's Next Top Model -- yes, I gave in and continued to watch it, despite knowing who wins -- and then turn in for a mug of cocoa with my Nintendogs and this charming fellow, my Bagpuss hot-water bottle:



The most important,
The most beautiful,
The most magical,
Saggy old cloth cat in the whole wide world.

1 comment:

Jess in boston said...

hi, there -- can i entice you to please send me the butternut squash mac & cheese recipe! it sounds lovely.