Friday, August 04, 2006

Rain, rain, go away . . . NOT!

The past few days have been an exercise in rain-dodging. Every half hour brings a new torrential downpour, the type of heavy rain that obliterates our view of houses across the canal or the sight of the Westertoren from my 7th floor office. Luckily, it seems to let up between 8.30 and 9 in the morning, and 5 and 6 in the evening, allowing us to get home damp with sweat -- you pedal faster when there are black clouds behind you -- but not soaked with rainwater. I've been additionally fortunate in that I've had 3 work-related meals out this week, have witnessed heavy showers while inside at each of them, but have made it home dry -- usually 5 minutes before the heavens open again. After five years here, I've clearly developed an excellent "rain" sense.

Please don't think I'm complaining: I'm thoroughly enjoying this weather! I can't quite get over what a difference a week makes: Last Friday, we were still in the muggy, sticky, fan-needing phase; today, it's curry for dinner, long woolen cardigan, and my lovely, lovely duvet. It's as if all my Amsterdam autumns have come at once!

1 comment:

Beth said...

Im also very pleased that its raining there as we have been slogging through the stuff with two damp and unhappy children for the last four days. I seriously thought we were victim to some conspiracy on the part of the fickle rain gods who were intent on ruining our vacation but now I know its just karmic revenge on Europe as a whole.