Monday, August 21, 2006

Oooh, he's a very nice man!

That would be Michael Palin, obviously. One of the Dutch channels at the gym has, delightfully, chosen to show his six-parter on his journey through the Himalayas, which meant I stayed on the treadmill for considerably longer than planned. But he was on a train journey to Simla and he was chatting to a historian about colonial rule and getting puris with potato curry from a lovely civil servant on the train and it was all so terribly nice and English that I had to keep watching. Bless. If I had to choose two exemplars of what it means to be a thoroughly decent English chap, I'd pick Palin and Sir David Attenborough. Very nice men.

I also watched the last 10 minutes of one of those programmes about evil children, incompetent parents and the child psychologist who makes it all better. There's nothing like having your prejudices reinforced to put a spring in your step.

No comments: