Monday, March 27, 2006

Just a few more minutes, Mum

I'm exhausted. The frustration of receiving an incomprehensible -- and clearly incorrect -- demand from the tax office combined with my shock at finding out how much built-in fridges cost, plus a quick check on the real estate market in London left me feeling financially fragile and semi-suicidal. Not conducive to sleep. After wandering round the flat at 2 a.m., listening to the rain, appreciating anew the size of our living room and all the lovely work surfaces in my kitchen, and envisioning being trapped in a London studio with not enough room to swing a baby hamster, I finally found sleep the old-fashioned way: Tylenol Night Caps.

However, a new day dawns and things start to brighten up a little -- although not the weather. Our surprisingly efficient accountant actually called the tax office on our behalf to find out what was going on, and they (the tax office) admitted that they'd made a mistake. That doesn't mean we won't have to pay the 10,000 euros, but it does mean we're more likely to get it back. The new fridge will be fitted on Thursday. As for London, well that still remains a black hole of suck, but I'm sure we'll be able to sort something out. And I've booked extremely cheap tickets from Norwich to Amsterdam for Easter Monday. The Dumpling is going home.

In the meantime, I'm just going to put my head down on my keyboard and rest my eyes for a little while. Zzzzzz...

2 comments:

CSS said...

There's a lovely, roomy loft-type-thing in N1. We can do a deal ;-)

Norfolk Dumpling said...

I suggested that to PJ, but it's out of my price range (unfortunately)!