Sunday, March 19, 2006

Ignore this post if you want bitching and moaning

Unable to bake sweet things, I turned my attention Saturday night to savoury -- the trip has inspired me to tackle new dishes and increase my salad content. The excellent Orangette provided the perfect recipe -- bouchons au thon, a sort of flourless tuna muffin/quiche. My new favorite supermarket, Super de Boer, provided a great box of salad leaves that weren't damp or slimy, but crisp and dry.

One of the things that I found appealing about this recipe was that it used everyday ingredients that I normally have in stock -- tinned tuna, eggs, cheese, and onions.



Tinned tuna really does smell like cat food. My much-loved and much-missed kitties Plato and Aristotle would have loved these.

And they take only 30 seconds to mix together, Jackson Pollock style ...



... before scooping into muffin tins. God, I love my ice-cream scoop.



20 minutes in the oven, and voila! Bouchons au thon.



Actually, I was expecting these to be a little lighter -- more souffle-like. Maybe I got the proportions wrong when I cut the recipe down to make six or perhaps my otherwise fabulous silicon muffin pans were too deep. These still tasted good -- definitely kitten-friendly -- but next time I might try whisking the egg whites separately and folding them in. However, they will still be a staple after-work meal, and one that is pretty much Atkins-compliant (if you ignore the large chunk of garlic bread that I served alongside).

Good food, a Smirnoff ice, and the opening episode of Season 3 of Footballers Wives -- how could Saturday nights be any better?

No comments: