Saturday, March 04, 2006

In-flight entertainment

Another day, another 11-hour flight, this time to SF. Premium economy was its usual peaceful state, apart from the cackling loons who were very chummy with the flight attendants – presumably Virgin employees or family/friends. I’ve finally given up pretending that I’m going to read on the flight, so picked up a copy of Vogue in the lounge (pretty pictures!) and focused on the movies. While PJ opted for the sci-fi/action adventure movies, I tapped into my deeply buried sensitive inner core and opted for:

1. Aeon Flux. This was beautiful to look at: Charlize Theron with fabulous hair and great costumes, fighting her way through a series of gorgeous sets and against a somewhat flimsy cloning plot. It was rather like an extended perfume commercial, but with better architecture and interior decoration. Nice poured concrete prison cell with underlit Perspex bed!
2. The Family Stone. God damn you, movie! You made me feel sorry for Sarah Jessica Parker and that’s just not right! This wasn’t the comedy I was expecting and was much better for it.
3. The 40-Year-Old Virgin. Filthy, funny, and surprisingly touching. And Paul Rudd needs to be in more films.
4. Pride & Prejudice. Having come of age during the Colin Firth BBC version (phwoar, wet shirt!), I didn’t think I would enjoy this. But, it was excellent. Keira Knightley has a slightly distracting lower jaw but was a feisty, sprightly Lizzie, and Matthew MacFayden was a great Darcy, despite the lack of a lake scene. And Donald Sutherland as Mr Bennett made me cry. I am such a girl.

On arriving at our hotel and after a brief tour of Union Square and the Tenderloin (chock full o' nutters) and a stop at Subway to pick up food, we turned on HBO and caught the end of the ludicrously atrocious Catwoman. Aeon Flux suddenly seemed a lot better.

No comments: