Sunday, April 01, 2007

A minor digression

Speaking of Peter Cushing, I spent Friday afternoon editing a document that mentioned Meta Object Facility specifications -- or MOF. I couldn't help thinking of Grand Moff Tarkin from the original Star Wars movie and how Peter Cushing used to wear his house slippers on set with his Imperial costume because his boots were too small and hurt his feet, which is why you rarely see full shots of him. I [heart] Peter Cushing.

And this has to be one of the most romantic quotes of all time:
Since Helen [his wife] passed on I can't find anything; the heart, quite simply, has gone out of everything. Time is interminable, the loneliness is almost unbearable and the only thing that keeps me going is the knowledge that my dear Helen and I will be united again some day. To join Helen is my only ambition. You have my permission to publish that... really, you know dear boy, it's all just killing time. Please say that.

Bless! Editing tech research really shouldn't make you want to cry (although it frequently does, but for very different reasons).

1 comment:

Nich Starling said...

I remember seeing him on "Jim'll Fix It", I think it was after his wife died, because he wrote to Jim asking if he could "fix it" to have a rose named after his wife.

He appeared a broken man at the time it was shown on TV. Sad, but also rather beautiful that they had something that special.