Tuesday, April 10, 2007

De trop

I feel somewhat surplus to requirements at the moment. The movers are here, and Martin, Dennis, and Jimmy are doing a great job. Stuff is rapidly disappearing into boxes, massive dust bunnies are revealing themselves from where the bed used to be, and I can't do anything except get in the way. I headed off to the library earlier to return my last remaining books and hung around there but felt guilty that I was leaving PJ to do all the work. Except he wasn't. He was doing exactly what I'm doing now -- sitting by the window, enjoying the sunshine, and surfing.

My biggest achievement so far today was lugging 12 bags of rubbish over to the other side of the Brouwersgracht. They get rubbish collections on Tuesday and Friday; ours are Monday and Thursday, and of course there was no collection yesterday, it being Easter Monday. We were facing the prospect of having vast quantities of rubbish and nowhere to put it, but I wrestled womanfully with the Amsterdam Gemeente site and figured out the nearest dumping point. Life is good.

I am starting to feel a little calmer about everything. Although, given the number of boxes they've already filled, I am more than a little concerned about where it's going to go at the other end.

No comments: