Thursday, January 18, 2007

BBQ baked beans

We'd intended to have take-out tonight; we've run down our stock of fresh food, given that we're going to be away for some time, and haven't done a decent shop in ages. However, the bad weather meant that I felt guilty about calling for food -- and somewhat sceptical that they'd even be open. Desperate times indeed. But wait! What's this? A tin of beans. Why, that reminds me of a recipe I saw on this excellent food blog. Onion? Check. Garlic? Check. Molasses? For once, check!

I had to make a few adjustments. No bacon, for starters. To capture the smokiness that bacon gives, I used a generous teaspoon of smoked pimenton -- Spanish paprika. This is the stuff that makes gives chorizo its rich, rusty colour and is excellent for beefing up (pardon the pun) veggie stews and chilies. And I didn't have three cans of different beans, so just used an ever-handy can of Heinz's best. 40 minutes later, I served this smokey, beaney sauce over the remains of a bag of bulgar wheat, cooked with garlic and ginger and liberally laced with harissa -- another peppery paste. Just right for today's blustery weather.

No comments: