Saturday, January 27, 2007

Airplane movies

No, don't call me "Shirley". I mean the sort of movies you watch on airplanes. Yesterday, I had the option of watching The Departed or The Last King Of Scotland, fine, worthy films both. Instead, I ended up watching The Devil Wears Prada and Little Miss Sunshine -- excellent plane fare. Little Miss Sunshine was a quality film and I'm hoping it takes the Oscar for Best Picture over turgid Oscar-bait like Babel. The Devil Wears Prada was also good fun, if very slight, but my age and cynicism meant I was unmoved by the central message of the film: Feel guilty about doing an excellent job and wearing gorgeous -- and free! -- clothes! Come on, as GOB would say. The boyfriend was a whiny, passive-aggresive jerk; the friends were irritating guilt-trippers; and our young heroine would have been far better off binning them all and sticking with Meryl Streep's character.

Friends? Who needs 'em when you've got Chanel boots and free Valentino!

1 comment:

Reel Fanatic said...

I liked Babel quite a bit too, but I would also be happy to see Little Miss Sunshine pull the upset this year .. the ending of that sweet movie was better than any I've seen in at least five years or wo