Saturday, January 14, 2006

O Tompopo, why hast thou forsaken me?

Or, why aren't you open already?

Another Saturday afternoon, another stroll along the Harlemmerstraat to see if the new Asian food store that's been lurking on the corner for months has actually opened yet. My heart leaps as I see lights on, a huge assortment of tempting goodies on the shelves, and yet . . . the door is locked. A notice suggests that it will open on January 21. Bummer. I don't understand why Dutch shop outfits/refits proceed at a snail's pace -- Bagels n Beans took months to open up a tiny store (shame they didn't spend that time working out how to serve more than one person at a time). There must be some kind of tax break available to small business owners who can't actually be bothered to open up their store and make money by selling goods. Which I can understand, I suppose; if you've invested time and money in figuring out how to get a tax break from the Belaastingdienst, you're going to want to make the most of it -- hey, that's how I feel about my 30% ruling!

I'm reading: The Lord Peter Wimsey short stories by Dorothy L. Sayers
I'm making: Date and oat squares
I'm watching: The last two episodes of Rome, followed by Family Guy

No comments: