Tuesday, January 10, 2006

A nice cup of tea?

How is one supposed to take Earl Grey tea? Do you add milk? A slice of lemon? Nothing? I have a box of Earl Grey teabags that I’m working through as a way of eking out my precious M&S ultra-strong one-cup bags, and it’s just not cutting the mustard (to use a wholly inappropriate metaphor). If you add milk, you end up with this distressingly murky, pale liquid; nothing at all, and it tastes unpleasantly like the cheap Pickwick’s teabags so revered over here, which contain nothing but floor sweepings from a factory next door but one to a tea factory. Steeping it for longer just results in a stewed, murky, pale liquid. In the past, I’ve added a teaspoon of Earl Grey leaves to a pot of Darjeeling, so that you just get a hint of bergamot, but this is time-consuming, messy, and unbearably pretentious.

This cup of tea is disgusting. I think I’ll just have to bribe a UK colleague to mule over some decent stuff ASAP.

1 comment:

Beth said...

I've always enjoyed it with a bit of milk (ideally whole) and a bit of sugar, but maybe this is an unacceptably Irish way to drink a very British tea. Captain Picard always drinks it simply, "hot" which I take to mean unadulterated.