Thursday, May 03, 2007

Flame wars

The weeds are back. I'm outraged. Given that I'm buying organic, I don't feel I can have at them with some noxious chemicals, but I am tempted by Riverford's method of weed control, as outlined in today's leaflet with the vegebox. "Faced with a potentially horrendous weeding task, we took the decision to flame weed. This involves a quick blast from a tractor-mounted flame weeder, which bursts the cells of the weeds, causing them to die within a few hours."

I think PJ would be up for operating a tractor-mounted flame weeder; it sounds like the sort of thing he gets to use in his many Japanese role-playing/berry-collecting games. The problem might be finding one small enough to fit into our tiny patio area. Perhaps we could MacGyver up a miniature one using a cigarette lighter and a piece of string instead. Either way, the weeds must go.

No comments: