Sunday, May 06, 2007

'ello John, got a new motor?

Is pretty much what we were saying all day yesterday. We've been to three car dealerships (and one bike shop) and all the sales staff were called John. Is that the law? Is there some kind of entry restriction for the Institute of Dealers that requires them to be called John? Or is it just short for (ahem) Honest John? It has made it much easier to remember them: John Peugeot, John Ford, and John Renault. All of them (other than in the bike shop) approach my father first, obviously figuring that PJ and I are far too scruffy to be able to afford anything -- just the way we like it. I'd be quite happy to hand over our budget and send my father off to buy us something; he tells us all sorts of useful information about the number-plate system, insurance groups, getting a discount -- I feel rather more comfortable at a dealership when he's around.

It's also been fun sitting in cars and trying to make them fit my 5'1" frame and PJ's 6'4" -- it's ruled out the Ford Ka (which I liked). We have also discovered that we each have some preferences, hitherto undiscovered. To whit:

I like frog-esque headlamps; PJ hates them.
PJ likes go-faster stripes; I refuse to be seen in a car with them.
I hate the new Detroit-style heavy front grilles; PJ tolerates them.
I like the Ford Focus and Peugeot 207; PJ hates them.

It looks like we'll "compromise" on a VW Golf of some variety -- not the Group 15 insurance GTi, but something with a 1.6 engine and no go-faster stripes or froggy headlamps (boo). Maybe next weekend.

2 comments:

CSS said...

We're revising so there's a Mini Cooper S on the market. We favour a Mercedes A class for practicality etc., but still Deutsche bling, and an old Alfa Spider for me to run to work. Sod Oyseter cards..

Norfolk Dumpling said...

Ah, a Mini Cooper S with just one careful (lady) driver. Tempting, but no rear leg space. Think we'll stick with VW practicality.