Friday, April 28, 2006

What I did on my holidays, by the Norfolk Dumpling (aged 34)

So, a half day is hardly a holiday, but it was remarkably refreshing. I didn't do anything particularly special: lunch with PJ at local cafe Harlem, then off to the Poezenboot to play with the rescue kitties. I had then intended to go to the Amsterdam Historical Museum, but it was a beautiful afternoon and the exhibitions were either the letters of Anne Frank or "Headscarves" and I really wasn't in the mood to study oppression in any form. I quickly diverted to nearby Kalverstraat, which was slightly less like the ninth circle of hell that it resembles on weekends, and hit Blokker for an icing bag set. Zara tempted me with its siren call -- utterly gorgeous summer dresses and little 50s style silk tops -- but my credit card has taken a recent beating, thanks to my US and UK trips, so I headed on over to the American Book Center to pick up next month's book club choice (and a couple of sale books). On the way home, I picked up ice creams for me and PJ, who'd spent a hard afternoon at home "researching" the videogame industry. And at 5.30, it was off to catch up with Beth on a sun-drenched terrace on the Singel. I made a tortilla for dinner and it turned out beautifully, and we ate it while watching an episode from Season 1 of "Teachers" -- top stuff. All in all, a fantastic afternoon that made me remember why I enjoy living over here.

It also confirmed my suspicions that if I didn't HAVE to work, I simply wouldn't bother. I'm not career-motivated; I have no great dream that I want to fulfill. When asked what I would do if I could do anything at all, my mind goes blank: I simply don't know and never have done. Or rather, "potter aimlessly" doesn't seem to be an acceptable answer. But that's what I'd do. I would:

1. Volunteer a couple of afternoon's a week (preferably involving petting cats).
2. Learn Japanese and French.
3. Shop for food on a daily basis and cook everything from scratch.
4. Have a dog.
5. Go to museums and theatre/film matinees.

Is this wrong of me? Am I somehow lacking in some fundemental way? And is there anyone out there who's prepared to fund me to achieve this lifestyle?

No comments: