Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Oranges are not the only fruit

I’ve never been a fan of fruit. As a child, I preferred it in boiled-sweet format, particularly cherry drops and lemon sherbets, and have the many fillings, caps, and root canals to show for it. Nowadays, I’ve (nearly) kicked my sweet habit, but still have an aversion to fruit in its raw state. Puddings and pies – particularly McDonald’s hot apple pie – are fine, as are smoothies, fruit-flavored ice cream, and the handful of raspberries I add to my granola each morning, but chowing down on a banana or apple does little for me. However, in my efforts to eat 5 a day, I’m making an effort. Maple-roasted apples and pears are divine, bananas mash up nicely into muffins, and I’ve recently started dissecting oranges at work in place of eating toast: Slicing off the peel and pith and cutting an orange into segments is fiddly and time-consuming – just what I need when the work isn’t flooding in and my gossip sites haven’t updated. Does anybody else have any suggestions of how to incorporate more fruit into my life - easily?

Next week: carving radishes into animal shapes in place of watching decent TV.

1 comment:

Beth said...

I too have never been a fruit fan largely because they're so unprofessionally designed. Messy and time-consuming, leaving juice and sticky dribble everywhere. But I've rediscovered apples lately. They are , in my opinion, the least irritating of fuits. Sliced and eaten, straight or with a bit of peanut butter, the tart green ones are best. Low maintenance and almost filling.