Wednesday, December 21, 2005

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger

Off to the local shwarma house to get a falafel broodje for lunch. The floors were spotlessly clean. The obscenely shaped breadcrumbed sausage sticks and frikandels were carefully wrapped in clingfilm, protecting them from stray germs. And the "chef" was wearing the regulation cap to prevent loose hairs falling into my food. However, as he headed back from the freezer with my falafels in hand, I heard him sneeze – wetly. And then cough - loudly. And then – and only then – did he place my falafels in the deep fryer.

Luckily, he proceeded to deep-fry all the life out of those poor falafels, so it seems unlikely that his nasal emissions survived. I should be thankful for such small mercies, I guess.

1 comment:

Beth said...

Is that why they wear the cap? I never knew. If only one could deep-fry salad...but then I guess that's what sneeze-guards at salad bars are for.