Sunday, December 18, 2005

5.30 a.m. - and I have my boyfriend's jetlag

While many have accused the Norfolk Dumpling of having a lump of ice where her heart should be, this is not strictly true. Puppies in bike baskets and the unfortunately rare trips to UK supermarkets are among the many things that cause the ice to melt just a touch. The latest and perhaps most disturbing example of this, though, is MTV's "Pimp My Ride." Hitting the treadmill at the gym on Thursday, I was delighted to see that a UK version has now been made; it's fronted by the ridiculous Tim Westwood, but still - I didn't have to listen to his faux wigga act, preferring to read the Dutch subtitles (yep, I do actually read the silly language) while listening to The Killers. Anyhow, the transformation of volunteer kids' football coach Asif's wreck of a Volkswagen was a joy to watch: He was so utterly excited and so grateful - compelling TV that kept me running for a good 5 minutes longer than normal.

Unlike the 25 minutes of obnoxious, entitled behavior demonstrated by the overindulged brats on another MTV show, "My Super-Sweet Sixteen." Is this program supposed to inspire loathing or envy on the part of its viewers? What parents would allow their daughters to take part in such a showcase for avarice and stupidity? I could only watch a few minutes before my blood pressure hit dangerous levels and I had to head to the weights room to work off my ire. Gah!

I'm listening to: The Yeah Yeah Yeahs
I'm baking: maple and pecan biscotti
I'm donating to: Menu for Hope 2

No comments: