Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Royally pissed off

Not that the UK doesn't offer up its share of bureaucratic frustrations. Last month, PJ treated me to a copy of Viz -- scatalogical entertainment best enjoyed on a "once every two years" basis. Not much had changed since I read it last, but it did feature an amusing board game based on waiting in for a package to be delivered, with all squares featuring some form of humiliating (and scatalogical) failure to get said package. It was absolutely spot-on. Postie ringing the doorbell, flinging the "you were out" card through the letter-box, and sprinting for the van? Oh yes, all too familiar. I'm currently waiting for an Amazon package to be delivered. Monday morning, I head downstairs at 8, waiting for the postie. At 9, I head upstairs for 30 seconds. When I check the letter-box an hour later, there's the dreaded card. Off I head, as usual, to the Royal Mail's helpful www.royalmail.com/redelivery site, as mentioned on the card. Only the URL no longer works. Nowhere on the site can you arrange for your package to be redelivered. I filled in a "please contact me" form -- and 48 hours later, I'm still waiting to be contacted. And still waiting for my package to arrive.

Oh well, I guess it's actually marginally better than the private delivery company that threw two of our packages over our back garden fence for us to collect -- once during a torrential downpour. Good job neither package contained (unusually) any half-decent electronics kits.

No comments: