Monday, March 03, 2008

The birds



I'm going to miss the garden shed that I can see from my desk. When I'm on my own, I put bits of bread on it and watch the birds fight over it. Today, two pikey giant crows turned up for the first time. They knew they were interlopers -- they sat on a neighbouring roof, carefully checking out the hood, then swooped down, picked up as many chunks of bread as they could, and scarpered. I would not have believed that a bird could look positively shifty before today, but I guess that's what hardcore twitching does for you.

At one point, there were several of these thieving crows perched on the roof opposite, silhouetted against the sky. I failed to get a picture, but the image below should give you some idea of what it was like. Just call me Tippi.

No comments: