Friday, January 23, 2009

A time for change

Yes, it's been a long time coming.
Yes, I already feel so much better.
Yes, it's just what we need in this era of "credit-crunch Britain"!

I'm talking about, of course, my new library card! After two years of library-free living, I've signed up with our local public lending library -- and have taken out two books, picked up some leaflets on local adult education courses in digital photography and Chinese, and inquired about the Chandler's Ford Crime Fiction Reading Group. I always feel happy in a library -- all those books to browse and no money to pay.

First up: The Devil in Me, a collection of short stories by Christopher Fowler, and then The Good Soldier by Ford Madox Ford -- it's on The Guardian's list of 1,000 books you should read, which is going to form my reading list for the year. I've just got to finish Margaret Atwood's The Robber Bride first; 100 pages to go and I love it! (So much more enjoyable than Oryx and Crake, which is one of the most depressing books I've ever read.)

Expect Amazon's sales to plummet in 2009. Heh.

No comments: