Friday, May 30, 2008

Waitrose's Cooked Sausage and Wholegrain Mustard crisps

These little beauties are currently on a 2-for-2-quid offer and are vegetarian. Perfect! All that meaty flavour with none of the, y'know, dead pigginess. Only problem was that buying them nearly bought the Waitrose payment system to its knees. The first cashier failed to swipe both packs through the machine, but I didn't notice that -- I only noticed that the discount hadn't rung up when I checked the receipt before leaving the store. So we went to complain, and then realized that I actually owed them money -- honesty isn't always the best policy. At this point, we needed the senior cashier to refund the money for the one pack of crisps, swipe the two packs through, and let me pay the difference between the one pack and the two pounds (61 pence, in case you're interested). This was apparently too much for both senior cashier and the machine to cope with. She refunded us money for BOTH packs and gave me 78 pence change. By now, I was determined to pay the right amount of money, rather than doing what any SANE person would have done -- which is pocket the money and walk away. So, after some wrangling, another, more senior cashier came over, fiddled about with keys, the machine, etc, and we finally settled up.

I don't think PJ is going to let me point out mistakes like this in the future. It's too ... time-consuming.

No comments: