Wednesday, May 07, 2008

"But it LOOKED dead!"



A typical British Bank Holiday Monday: grey skies and pouring rain to start, followed by lovely, lovely sunshine. As a result, we were finally able to make it out into the jungle masquerading as our back garden. PJ instead opted to spend 10 hours on a plane to San Francisco rather than join my family in slashing away at the undergrowth. Probably wise: it turns out that my sister and I are somewhat "secateur-happy" and generated many bags of garden waste, including most of a clematis that was wound round the big tree in our back garden and that looked to me like dead ivy. No matter. It will either grow back or it won't; there's not much I can do to rectify the situation now. We also discovered that we have fennel, a huge bay tree, and a "legless lizard" that likes sunning itself on one of the many heaps of decaying wood that litter our garden. Nature in the raw!

And, of course, it's not a proper Bank Holiday without at least one trip to the dump -- sorry, household waste recycling centre; my father managed three in 12 hours, a new record for our family. The garden now looks fantastic -- and will look even better when we hire someone to remove all the dead wood. I'm off to bask alongside our lizard right now. Pip pip!

No comments: